Wednesday, March 31, 2010

April Breads


I made both of the two breads for the HBin5 group this session. The first one was Carrot Bread, made with whole wheat flour, shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, and dried cranberries. I really liked this one. I used sweetened coconut so this made a lovely toasting bread for breakfast.


Here is a closeup showing the cranberries, freshly sliced and ready for butter! I would be happy having this bread for breakfast every day. Maybe I would alternate this one with the apple bread, both make great breakfast breads.


The second recipe this time was for Olive Bread. This bread was made with spelt flour, plain yogurt, and lots of sliced marinated green olives. I bought the big deli olives, pitted but not pimento-stuffed. We served it with spaghetti and a nice green and orange salad (baby greens, orange sweet peppers and baby carrots). It was very good.



I found this bread to be moist, salty and slightly sourdough in flavor. I probably won't make it again because my family is not really made up of olive lovers, even though I love them. Perhaps I would try it with garlic cloves.


Would you like a slice?

15 comments:

Michelle said...

I'd love a slice!

Gorgeous rise on your Carrot Cake, much nicer then mine!

We loved the Olive Spelt Bread with pasta and then as the bun for hamburgers! DELICIOUS!

Femalechef said...

Oh garlic sounds great.....I love garlic........I think your bread looks like great crumb!!!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

I would never have thought to use cranberries in the carrot bread. I bet that was good.

I made my spelt bread without the olives and it tasted great! No one in my family likes them either.

Bonnie said...

I would like a slice! Your carrot loaf is wonderful. I made both loaves as well, and I liked the carrot the best.

Mama Peck said...

Yes, please! I would love a slice of your olive bread. :) Both loaves look delicious.

Petra said...

Nice, your carrot bread looks like a perfectly shaped sandwich bread. Your spelt bread too got a nice rise and looks like it did not spread much

Elwood said...

May I have a slice too! Your breads look great. Nice rise on the carrot bread.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Great idea to use cranberries in the carrot bread and I really like your idea of trying garlic in the olive bread dough. I really liked the texture of the olive bread.

Ezzie said...

Too bad we can not taste through the internet...they both look delish! Yes, definitely try garlic...I sometimes do whole cloves. Fabulous!

Cristie said...

Really nice carrot bread. So many of the loaves haven't risen. What is your secret?

Teresa said...

Looks good! I've been craving the apple bread lately. I might have to make that again this weekend.

Guff said...

Your breads look great. I am ready for a slice.

Jessica said...

Your carrot bread sliced is beautiful!

IcyQueen said...

Could you share with me your recipe for the Carrot bread? would love to try it at home

Cherie said...

I love your bread pictures. I feel quite hungry at the thought of some of them