Sunday, February 24, 2008

Here I Go Again....

Will everybody just go to your windows right now and shout out "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore"? Don't make me shout alone...

I need a new refrigerator. This one has a broken icemaker and the entire back wall is cracked, allowing the cold to seep out of the inner chamber and into the casing, which means we are spending a lot of extra money on electricity. Plus, we purchased this one when we had a large family at home, and now it is just Gary and me. It is so big we are lucky if we can fill one shelf with our meager groceries for 2. So we have started looking around. Gary found one at a good price at Home Depot on sale, but it sold before we made our decision. It was on clearance you see. Then we went to Sears and were ready to buy a black one on clearance if our daughter who works there could sell it to us and make a nice commission. Well Sears said I had to buy it from a total stranger even though Sara was right there, she couldn't ring up the sale. So forget it! I didn't want another black one anyway, I really like the clean look of the stainless steel. So then we went to Lowe's to have a look around, and we found this one:

Isn't it pretty? And it is Energy Star rated, has a cool little turn about water spout for filtered water through the door, and many other nice features, not to mention the fact THAT IT IS $500 OFF because it is the last one of last year's model. Well, we never make a decision on the spot. We came home to think about it, taking our chance that someone else would grab it out from under us.

Well then the gas man came. He filled the propane tank for my little gas stove that heats my studio, and quietly slipped the bill inside the back door. IT WAS FOR $250 DOLLARS! They are charging $2.47 a gallon for it, and it is to heat only one room! For about one month! And I keep it at 65 degrees.

The next day Gary was in the shower when I saw the oil man pull into the driveway. The oil furnace heats the rest of the house. Well his bill was for $550!!!!!!! You should have seen me chasing him down my driveway screaming like a banshee "You better run! If I ever catch you near my tank again with your $3.50 a gallon oil you'll regret it! What the hell are you people thinking!!??"

Ok, so add the two bills together, and I have spent $800 to keep my house warm (66 degrees, not like I am really warm) for one month. Barack Obama says we need to insulate our homes better. HOW THE HELL CAN WE AFFORD TO DO THAT WHEN WE ARE SPENDING $800 A MONTH TO NOT FREEZE TO DEATH??? HUH? I wish he would tell me. The outside thermometer seems to be frozen at 8 degrees, I'm sick of giving every penny to the oil companies! Don't even get me started on the price of gasoline! Geez, there goes my refrigerator! So if you are as angry as I am, live in the frozen north and can't afford anything besides heat with your paycheck, go with me to the window right now and yell "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore!" Louder, I can't hear you...

No comments: